Wednesday, February 10, 2010

A Letter from a Viewer

Dear Mr. Bandaranayake


I had come for the show with my family and enjoyed it well.
I had first seen your play when i was a student at Dharmasoka college , Ambalangoda somewhere in 1977. I still can recollect that Ambalangoda Town hall was jam packed on that day. We as the regional dramatists then were influenced by "Eka adhipathi" . I just can remember one incident which happened in 1978. We had produced a stage drama called "Prabuu" for the drama competition conducted by the Youth council. I had played the main role of the play. The director of the play who was the script writer too wanted me to perform like "Dharmasiri Bandaranayake" . I have done my part up to his expectation. The judges were the great Henry Jayasena and Dr. Solomon Fonseka. Our play was thoroughly criticized by the judges as it was a carbon copy of "Eka Adhipathi" . But I was commended and encouraged by the judges and also warned me not to imitate anyone on the stage. I still remember that great Henry Jayasena had said that " we do not want duplicate Dharmasiri Bandaranayake". After that i have followed an acting course conducted by Dr. Solomon Fonseka.

"Eka Adhipathi" undoubtedly is a milestone in the theater of Sri Lanka. I strongly believe that the young dramatists should watch this play again and again as this is a classic example for them to study an overall stage production.

Let me wish you all the success in future.

thanks N regards

Jagath de Silva
Manager (Media & Publicity)
Board of Investment of Sri Lanka

No comments:

Post a Comment